Our jewelry is predominantly made from sterling silver and plated either in 18k gold or, in some cases, Rhodium. Read on below to understand the different metals and stones frequently used in our jewelry. When browsing through our collections, each product description will tell you exactly which materials the pieces of jewelry are made from.
Sterling Silver is a precious and highly durable base metal used frequently to make everyday jewelry. Often referred to as 925 sterling silver, the silver is 92.5% pure silver, while the other 7.5% is comprised of other metals (alloys) mixed in.
Because silver is more abundant in the natural environment than gold, it is significantly less expensive. Therefore it is a wonderful alternative to gold-based jewelry, and it is beautiful either on its own, or plated with gold or Rhodium.
Everyone knows of the beauty and inherent value of gold. It is also a soft metal that bends very easily. 24 karat gold is pure gold and is not mixed with other alloys to harden it. It is therefore not often used for jewelry. Comprised of approximately 75% pure gold, 18k gold is mixed with alloys to make it harder. While still susceptible to scratches and scuffing, 18k gold is a beautiful color for jewelry and is often used to plate sterling silver jewelry. 14k gold is the least pure gold, but more durable thanks to the higher alloy content.
Rhodium is an expensive and rare metal used to provide a hard, tarnish-resistant outer layer for sterling silver jewelry. Its bright, silvery-white appearance also helps to maintain the color of silver jewelry. Rhodium is nickel-free and therefore does not tarnish. However, it can wear down through repeated exposure to environmental factors, allowing the less-vibrant color of sterling silver to become visible.
Gold Plating & Vermeil
Gold is one of the metals frequently used with sterling silver to provide more versatility with jewelry colors and to act as a barrier against rapid tarnish. Whether white, yellow, or rose, gold plating varies in thickness. Vermeil is considered the thickest layer of 18k gold plating and therefore helps to maintain the jewelry's color for the longest period of time.
Nevertheless, all gold-plated jewelry eventually tarnishes. Environmental factors in addition to the owner's treatment of the jewelry can accelerate the tarnishing process. Regular and thoughtful care of jewelry can extend its life.
Refer to our Jewelry Care page for best practices and cleaning suggestions.
Cubic Zirconia are synthetic, lab-grown gemstones that are cut to closely resemble diamonds. They emit a similar sparkle and fire that diamonds do, particularly when held up to the light. CZ are also graded according to the 4Cs diamonds are graded on: cut, clarity, color, and carat. AAAAA CZ are the best quality and are cut by the best stone cutters.
Zircon is a natural gemstone known for its brilliance and is actually one of the oldest gemstones in the world. Because of its close similarity to diamond, the difference between the two is not easily distinguishable to the naked eye.